Cathedral Music Programs
Cathedral Music Programs Cathedral Music Programs Cathedral Organ
History of the Great Cathedral Organ
- August 25, 1915
The first Kilgen Organ in the Cathedral was dedicated by Most Rev. John
J. Glennon on the Feast of St. Louis. The organ had two duplicate
four-manual consoles, one placed in the gallery with the main organ and
the other in the sanctuary behind the main altar with a smaller
instrument. There was also a Celestial division whose pipes were in the
dome of the Cathedral.
- September 18, 1946 Contracts were signed for the new
Kilgen Organ (behind the main altar). The organ would be 77 ranks of
pipes which included 14 stops from the 1915 Kilgen Organ. Total cost
was $34,375.00 and the existing organ!
- May 27, 1948 Contracts signed for the Processional Organ
(South Gallery). The organ consisted of 10 ranks of pipes on a two
manual console, playable also from the main organ. The instrument was
previously the Echo Organ in Carnegie Hall, New York City. Total cost
- October 13, 1949 Dedication of the new Kilgen "Liturgical
Organ". The Blessing of the organ was given by Most Rev. Joseph E.
Ritter and the dedication recital was played by Cathedral Organist, Dr.
- July 26, 1984 The Rededication Concert of the Kilgen
Organ, rebuilt by M.P. Moller, Hagerstown, Maryland. Cathedral
Organist, Dr. Mario Salvador, was the recitalist and the St. Louis
Cathedral Choir sang.
- January 5, 1997 The Edward and Eileen Roehr Memorial
Console and Organ Renovation Project was dedicated at the 10 a.m. Mass
by Msgr. James Telthorst and a Dedicatory Organ Recital was played by
Organist, Composer and restoration project consultant, Dr. Charles
Callahan. The restoration was done by the Wicks Organ Company,
Highland, Illinois, and included a new four-manual console in the
sanctuary, the refurbishing of the Gallery Console, new solid-state
circuitry throughout, several new ranks of pipes (bringing the total to
96 ranks) and some digital stops, including five 32' stops.
- Summer of 2002 The Charles and Margaret Mary Callahan, Sr.
Dome Division was installed in the East transept. This new dome
division consists of 15 ranks of pipes (855 pipes) made up of a new
principle chorus and a 5 rank cornet. An additional 10 ranks (610
pipes) were added to the gallery organ to enhance the choral singing
from the south gallery. All of these additions were made possible
though the generous gifts of Charles Callahan, Jr. of Vermont (the
organ consultant for the entire project), Ms. Flora Symons of
Washington, DC, and parishioners Paul and Lynette Raidt, and A. William
Larson. All of the pipework, except the cornet, is from the 1951
Aeolian Skinner organ, the First Church of Christ Scientist, Boston.
The new Cornet V was built by the Wicks Organ Company of Highland,
Illinois. The organ is now 118 ranks, 7,621 pipes.
- The fourth and final phase of the project is to replace
the small two-keyboard console in the gallery with a duplicate
four-keyboard console allowing the entire organ to be playable from
either place. The cathedral had two duplicate consoles from 1915 to
1949. In 1949 the main organ was moved downstairs and was only
controlled from the main console. Phase four awaits a donor.
The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis has had three Directors of Music
and Organists in its history: Mr. William Diebels 1915 - 1939, Dr.
Mario Salvador, AAGO, 1940 - 1992, Dr. John Romeri, AAGO, ChM,